Monday, November 8, 2010

For our MOST LOYAL fans...

So, it's been 5 days since the announcement that rocked the NKOTB & BSB Worlds and the fun hasn't stopped.

We are now a community divided with hurt, upset, and angry words being splashed across Twitter for all to see.

Some of us are happy & excited while others are disappointed & disenchanted.

Now, today, or rather, sometime last night, word got around about the NEW NKOTB fan club.

A fan club? Really? And to say "For Our Most Loyal Fans..."? WOW! That's pretty brazen and hurtful.

I guess we're NOT the MOST LOYAL fans if we don't buy this membership. I suppose the way we were all waiting for NKOTB's return in April 2008 meant nothing. I guess how we followed their individual careers and hung on faithfully for over 20 years meant nothing in the grand scheme of things because THIS is all just about business & money. Sleeping outside, waiting in rain, outdoor rain soaked concerts, lining up days in advance for a chance to meet the men we so love means absolutely nothing.

For 2+ years we gave our devotion, our time, and, yes, OUR MONEY. We did all of it gladly and gratefully. We didn't complain. We traveled to see them, some of us farther than others, but we did it. We welcomed them back with open arms and thanked them profusely because, well, we were so glad to have them!

They came back for US, right?

We were told that they were back to show the world we were NEVER some stupid, little, kids who didn't know what they were talking about. Isn't that the speech?

We were assured that it was all out of LOVE that they did what they did and we WERE APPROPRIATELY GRATEFUL!

*smh*

Doesn't seem like it's all so cut & dry anymore, does it?

Now, it's MONEY. Each and every one of us, along with BSB fans, have become NOTHING but dollar signs. I can almost hear the "Cha-Ching" of the register in the distance.

My outrage, hurt, and disappointment isn't JUST about the money. It's not. I think I have proven that with the concerts I attended and the places I traveled to.

THIS is principle.

We've been told we are family, we are loved, we are NOT a dollar sign!

There was a statement made, not too long ago, that went like this "Our fans do not have to PAY to be fans."

Oh, really? I see.

So, now, our choice is to NOT pay and miss out OR PAY and get "perks" that we used to always get anyway.

Hmmmm. But, this ISN'T about MONEY, is it?

I'm NOT stupid. I know all of this has to be somewhat about money. BUT we were lead to believe the emphasis was on the love, the family...the emphasis was on US. Now, it's not. There's nothing special about our "thing" anymore. In fact, I don't think we have a "thing" anymore. I feel like our "boyfriends" just pretty much dumped us and moved onto greener pastures. Now, our "thing" includes a whole other band, their fans, and new fees.

Not very heartwarming and personal now, huh?

I love NKOTB. I've loved them since I was 12 yrs old and had NO idea why just looking at them made my tummy flip or my face flush when I got near them. I won't stop being a fan. I'm just crushed by all the "new" that has been heaped upon us. I feel foolish for feeling hurt in this way.

The phrase "Get in where you fit in" has been rolling around my head. We all, as NKOTB fans, KNOW who says that to us. Well, now, I am sad to say, I don't think there IS a place for me in the future of NKOTB. I feel as if I am being forced out and discounted. I DON'T matter. I mattered before OR, at least, I felt I did. Maybe THAT was MY naivete. That's my fault.

Shame on me for believing.

I won't be so quick to make that mistake again.

I won't give them my heart so that they can carelessly toss it aside & not treat it as the gift that I know it is.

I hurt to see so many of my sisters hurt. Just know, no matter where you stand on this issue, if you're my friend, that comes above all else. I actually keep my promises.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, girl! Money does crazy things to people, I hate this!!

    ReplyDelete